Saturday, August 13, 2011

11 Layer Cake

This year for my brother's birthday he wanted me to make him a 14 layer cake. I had made it once before and he loved it. I got the recipe off of a cooking blog called Bakerella which is full of details and pictures. Since this was all he wanted I had to make it.

First I needed several pans. I found six so I would have to do a couple batches. I decided to go with the Smith Family 12-layer cake recipe that I found on the web.

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , sifted
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter , at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 6 large eggs , at room temperature
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Then I buttered, lined the pans with parchment paper, and put a bit of flour on top. There was no way these cakes would stick.



Then I added a scant cup of batter to each pan and baked them for about 12 minutes or until they pulled away from the pan at the edges. I ended up only having enough batter for 11 layers. Oh well (don't tell my brother!).





I left them in the pan for a few minutes and then transferred them to a wire rack to cool.

 
While cooking all of the layers I started making the gooey inner frosting.

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , preferably Dutch process
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter , cut up
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

 

It was so hard not to eat all of this before putting it on the cake! It was so good! 
The next process was putting the frosting between each layer and stacking the layers. 



Yummy! It was so gooey and drippy! Delicious! After I had layered them all, I put the rest of the frosting on top and smoothed it around the sides. 


I had to let this frosting set so I let it sit for about 30 minutes. While waiting I whipped up a chocolate butter cream for the top.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa)
  • 1 box (1 lb) confectioner’s sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1-3 Tbsp milk 
Then I spread it all over the cake. It turned out so good and yummy. I forgot to take pictures of the inside, but it looked really cool with all the layers. There are pictures on the blog I took the recipe from. Check it out and try it for yourself, if you have the time :)






No comments:

Post a Comment