Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Paint Swatch Boxes - Caution


I have wanted to do this cute idea for a while but I needed to get supplies, so it was put off for a while. So finally I went to Home Depot and sneakily got a ton of big paint swatches. I took so many that I was surprised no one cut me off, although I did get some weird looks from some other paint shoppers. It was probably the fact that I picked colors at random and did not stick to one hue.

I got this idea from a tutorial that looked so cute! I was really excited about this craft idea because for some reason I have this weird fascination with paint swatches.

Anyway all you need is:
  • Paint Swatches - at least two (top and bottom)
  • Ruler
  • x-acto knife
  • glue or double stick tape
The instructions on the blog are very good and even have little diagrams to help you out. Yet even with all the information it was still incredibly hard. Each piece came out just slightly different and the tops would not always fit the bottoms. To be honest I became very frustrated, threw down my failed swatches, and went to get my boyfriend for help. He concluded that either I was very bad at cutting (maybe) or the directions are flawed. So he tried to make a box...

Turns out that to make a perfect box you need to be incredibly precise with the measurements. Or, if you do not care which swatch top goes with each swatch bottom, just make a bunch of each and put them together with whichever ones fit. This is what I ultimately did.

So here is my caution: If you are a perfectionist like me do not do this particular craft or you may find yourself frustrated... with an x-acto knife.

On the bright side the boxes look okay and I had fun taking pictures of them. Maybe it wasn't a complete failure :)



Don't get me wrong, this project is a wonderful idea and the person who figured it out is a genius (and a very precise cutter). Try making one yourself!

4 comments:

  1. You are so funny! Thank you for not slitting your wrist by mistake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! In fact I was just writing a blog about paint swatch crafts lol. So gonna have to link to this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! Please let me know when you do so I can check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been your silent reader for long.. Now I think you have to know how much your articles have inspired me to do better. This is very insightful and informative. Thank you for sharing. I would love to see more updates from you.

    Elcometer

    ReplyDelete