Thursday, January 5, 2012

DIY Headband


I absolutely love headbands. Besides that fact that they sometimes give me headaches, I think they are the perfect accessory for my head. They are especially useful for hiding greasy hair on short notice :) Since you only need a bit of fabric for this use any scraps you have left over. If you do not have fabric laying around, find a fabric store that sells "fat quarters." They are cheaper (I got 10 for $27) and they are a small amount of fabric.


Ingredients:
  • Fabric
  • Headband - $2.99 at Michael's. I like to get the ones that have fabric on them because then you can recycle the inside ribbon to finish it. I used a 1" headband. The larger ones fit my head weird.
  • Hot Glue
  • Scissor
First strip the headband of the fabric. Make sure to keep the inner ribbon intact for use later.


 
Measure the fabric with the headband and cut out a long strip. Leave about an inch of extra fabric at each end just in case.
 

 
Before starting to glue, figure out how you want the fabric to sit on the headband.


I like to start gluing in the middle. Just put a bit of hot glue in the center and fold the fabric over. Then put another dab of glue and fold the other side of fabric over.



Work your way down each side until you get to the end. Make sure to clip the extra fabric so it won't poke out the sides.



To finish the end clip each end until you have about 3/4 an inch. Put a dab of glue down on the end and fold the extra fabric down on top.




Now apply the ribbon to the inside. This finishes the headband and makes it look more professional. I have tried to find this specific ribbon in stores, but I cannot find it! So i just rip it off of the headband and reuse it. 




Looks pretty good! The cool thing is the possibilities are endless! You can use bigger or smaller headbands and any type of fabric you want. Plus you can add bows, feathers, or ribbon to the top as an embellishment. Try it out and tell me what you think!


3 comments:

  1. That's adorable!
    Sadly I can never fin a headbands that fits :(
    but you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headbands can be tricky. I find that usually the really thin headbands are made of metal so they can be stretched. It is harder to decorate them because they are so thin, but they are still so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an amazing idea and I love how it looks!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete